Name:
Location: Vienna, Virginia, United States

A graduate of Dartmouth College (2005) and Washington and Lee University School of Law (2010). These are my personal blogs, and the musings expressed on them do not reflect the positions of my employer. They do reflect my readings, thoughts, and aspirations, which I figure is good enough.

Friday, April 29, 2005

From a Small Planet Somewhere in the Vicinity of Betelgeuse

I had a very nice day today. Want to hear about it?

Ok then.

Journalism class consisted for watching a video about women in journalism, so nothing incredibly exciting there (in terms of what I did or did not know already). I did take exception to this one woman with horrible teeth though. In any case, I went and got my car (known as the Honda of Doom) from A-Lot and drove into Lebanon, where I interviewed my yoga instructor for a profile I have to write for journalism class.

It was actually a very interesting interview, because my yoga instructor is a very interesting person.

The real cause of my good mood though, is the fact that it's a wonderful day out, and it was nice driving with the window down today.

So after my interview ended at about 3:00, I drove back to town, and thought to myself, "self, you should go see a movie. Don't go home and take a nap. Besides, you can park in town or in front of CVS for an hour, so you won't risk getting a ticket by parking behind Dartmouth Hall."

Twenty minutes later, I found myself in front of the Nugget, having not paid for parking in town because I parked in front of a broken meter, waiting in a very small queue with some other people for the first showing of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I am a huge fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide books. I read them sometime around 8th or 9th grade I believe. The first two were wonderful excersises in British humour and absurdity, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. The last few tended to wander a little too much plot-wise, and were less enjoyable. Actually, the first two tended to ramble as well, but the rambling tended to be more endearing and amusing than annoying.

I was, like many other fans, concerned when the news about the movie came out. The casting of Mos Def didn't do much to assuage people's fears, and most people were just afraid that they would butcher the first book, or at least not do Adams' material justice.

Walking out of the theater, I can say I got pretty much what I expected - a healthy dose of absurd British humour somewhat loosely tied together by a plot given to madcap dashes rather than progressive steps.

Given the source material, it was translated decently, although some elements did get too much screen time (John Malkovich), and others not enough (Alan Rickman as the voice and Wicket as the body of Marvin the Manic Depressive Robot), and some of the humor is better suited for radio or text rather than film.

That said, I can't think of a hard text to translate to film, both because of its cult fan following and the fact that the text itself is more disjointed than the grunts in a Jet Li fight scene.

Overall, it was a movie I'm glad I paid 6.00 for and not full price, but one I'm glad I saw.

Done with film watching for the day, I got my car, and parallel parked perfectly right in front of Wheeler, my dorm, further reinforcing what I already suspected - that it's a good day today.

Also, I found this link, which tells of the hubbub caused by a large burrito. No joke. Fun stuff.

All I know is that this kid, who, as an extra credit assignment, designed a restaurant that made extra large burritoes, has an extremely bright future.

Because anyone who walks into school with a "30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and tomatoes" is okay in my book.

Now all that's left to do is watch the St. Louis v. Atlanta baseball game (Mulder v. Hudson) and eat some food, possibly EBA's if I feel lazy again, which is looking less improbable by the minute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home