Name:
Location: Vienna, Virginia, United States

A graduate of Dartmouth College (2005) and Washington and Lee University School of Law (2010). These are my personal blogs, and the musings expressed on them do not reflect the positions of my employer. They do reflect my readings, thoughts, and aspirations, which I figure is good enough.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Plans of Mice and Men

Under duress, I take to my blog.

Although I suppose I should be writing more these days. I just haven't really felt particularly like sharing. I think I need a timeout, or a naptime. Snack? I'm partial to Cheez-Its...

Oh well. Here goes.

This is my show and tell

Exhibit: Piece of Mail, I, William W. Li 05, got today.

It is a 4 by 6 greeting card. Very fancy. Expensive card stock, cream color background. At the forefront of the card is an artist's rendition of Dartmouth Hall and the buildings surrounding. The buildings are not all the same colors I remember, and I certainly don't remember that white picket fence job in front of the road. Wentworth is a brick red, and so is Thornton. Both buildings are white in my mind.

Looking closer, there's no paved road at all, only a dirt path, crossing over the green. Even that path isn't in the same pattern as it is today.

On the back of the card, it says "Dartmouth College," about 1840. Attributed to Ann Fraces Ray (Mrs. Gilbert Pillsbury, Dartmouth Class of 1841).

I knew it. This wasn't my Dartmouth. Not the Dartmouth I know. Oh, it's definitely very similar. But this looks like horses and carriages, not gas guzzling SUV's. Men walking around in shirts and slacks, not men and women skimpily dressed on the first sign of Spring.

Ms. Ray didn't even get the color of the sky right. She did the buildings okay though. I could look outside from the second floor of McNutt and get essentially what she drew in 1841.

But I see something different in my mind. My Dartmouth, not hers.

Perhaps the card itself holds something more like the Dartmouth I know?

The card opens to fancy green cursive text. Green is good. Green is like Dartmouth Green, like our supposed mascot.

"The Dartmouth Club of Washington, D.C.
and
The Office of Alumni Relations
cordially invite you to a reception with

President James Wright
and
Susan DeBevoise Wright

Tuesday, September 27th, 2005

National Press Club
529 14th Street, NW.
Washington D.C.

Cocktail Reception 6:00 - 7:00 PM
Formal Program 7:00 - 8:00 PM

Complimentary hors d'oeuvres
Cash Bar"

Not quite.

This isn't my Dartmouth either.

National Press Club? As in, the Club for the people who grill the President? Formal program? That probably means dressing up, doesn't it. I'm not even a big cocktail person.

Hors d'oeuvres?

That's not . . . wait . . . that's free food.

Now THAT'S my Dartmouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home