Name:
Location: Vienna, Virginia, United States

A graduate of Dartmouth College (2005) and Washington and Lee University School of Law (2010). These are my personal blogs, and the musings expressed on them do not reflect the positions of my employer. They do reflect my readings, thoughts, and aspirations, which I figure is good enough.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Yikes

Three months since my last post? Not good. Someone should have thrown a brick at my head or something.

I'm not going to write anything too substantive; just a couple of thoughts.

Way back when, John used to tease Mike Hunter about the kind of music he would make - something to the effect that his stuff would come out sounding like Greensleeves. After all, Mike did like that song a lot.

I figured for a while that it wasn't that great of a thing to say, because after all, who wants their prog rock to sound like Greensleeves?

I think that when I started listening to Opeth, something made me think of that statement. But now I've found music that really, really makes me think about it.

Blackmore's Night is a band formed by Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple fame. The guy is an amazing guitarist, and since Deep Purple, he's done some pretty interesting stuff. But the best way to describe Blackmore's Night is that it's what might result if Jethro Tull found a time machine and went back to the 17th Century.

A lot of Baroque sounding tunes led by Blackmore's acousitic guitar, what I've heard of their music is both catchy and experimental.

Anyway, that's what's on my mind at the moment. I've been experimenting with Pandora (www.pandora.com), and it has been recommending me some interesting stuff. For those of you that don't know about it, you input music that you like into Pandora, and it sets a kind of radio station up for you.

I'm fairly satisfied with what I have on my only station so far, although every once in a while, it recommends me Hootie and the Blowfish. Not cool. Other than that, I've been getting a lot of Gordon Lightfoot, Johnny Cash, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris.... definitely music I approve of. Oh, and Blackmore's Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home