Name:
Location: Vienna, Virginia, United States

A graduate of Dartmouth College (2005) and Washington and Lee University School of Law (2010). These are my personal blogs, and the musings expressed on them do not reflect the positions of my employer. They do reflect my readings, thoughts, and aspirations, which I figure is good enough.

Monday, October 25, 2004

Trent Reznor's Def Funky Jams

It's the concert, without people trying to cut you

Ah, the wonders of bittorrent. Legal bittorrent at that. I've been spending some very productive time at www.easytree.org, a group devoted to sharing legal (I think) recordings of concerts. The concerts are in lossless format, .flac or .shn. These are bootlegs that aren't meant to be ripped off and sold, and from what I've seen on the site they discourage it very much, going as far as to target ebay sellers that attempt to distribute bootlegs that are available for free on this site (and others).

This has been the best site I've found so far. The first site I used, Sharing the Groove, was an excellent one with a not-so great format. The first file I got was actually a show that I was at, the July 31st Curiousa festival set for The Cure. Great set, and someone was recording it pretty well too. There's something to be said for a forty something man that's willing to take the stage in heavy eye makeup. Mad Props, Robert Smith. I named my very first Diablo character after you. I love this discovery because thus far, over the last few years since Napster came and went, I had to resort to P2P downloads that might or might not be what the sharer promised. The files marked Bob Marley last concert probably were, but other than that, it's not too easy to find full concert sets out there, especially in a format that you can listen to with little difficulty (with .flac or .shn, you need to download programs, but they're not very large and it's all freeware anyway).

I've since downloaded almost 40 gigabytes of material, meaning I'm going to have to archive some of them at some point or buy myself an external hard drive. The shows include a few Radiohead sets, a Smashing Pumpkins set, Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Eagles, Aerosmith (Featuring Jimmy Page!!!), Cat Stevens, Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, The Police and Weezer. This stuff is wonderful. Most of it is in excellent quality, having been recorded and filtered by people that know what they're doing. I don't really get the lingo, but hey, I know it sounds good. The one I saw seeded a while ago but didn't get a chance to download was a legendary Police set from 1980 in which Sting literally goes for 3 hours. Yes folks, he was tantric even back then.

And my latest discovery, which is making me squeal (no, really), a seven song set performed by Nine Inch Nails in Chicago on 4/27/00. All acoustic, all Trent Reznor, all the time. Actually, it's not all acoustic, but it's about as acoustic as industrial metal can get. The best version of Hurt I've ever heard. So Good. Why don't people write songs like that anymore? There are two copies of Hurt, one better quality (I think), Something I Can Never Have, The Day The World Went Away, Even Deeper, The Big Comedown, and The Fragile. A very solid set. Trent Reznor, come back, the world needs you.

Man this is great. Wonderful music to psychoanalyze Milton to.

I WON'T LET YOU FALL APART *Whew*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home