Name:
Location: Vienna, Virginia, United States

A graduate of Dartmouth College (2005) and Washington and Lee University School of Law (2010). These are my personal blogs, and the musings expressed on them do not reflect the positions of my employer. They do reflect my readings, thoughts, and aspirations, which I figure is good enough.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Slippage

Have you ever fallen asleep in a class? Sure you have. Have you ever partially fallen asleep in a class, and started thinking the professor was saying something, only there was no way that's what they were saying? Or started writing something random in your notebook?

Had one of those moments today. Usually I'll be awake in physiology class, since Prof. Velez's thick accent and rapid lecturing makes it impossible to keep up unless you're paying attention. But Gilman 101 has been a sauna lately for no apparent reason; seriously, 70 degrees in there. Sweltering. Damn annoying. So, seeing as how I got 3 hours of sleep last night, I wasn't surprised when I started nodding a little.

I was surprised, however, when I wrote down the following sentence in my notes:

"The chain reaction goes all the way back to Saruman"

No joke. Actually what I wrote. I was supposed to write something to the effect of "The chain reaction goes all the way back to the beginning of the pathway", but somehow, Saruman and his Technicolor Dreamcoat got involved. Bizzare.

That'll teach me not to doze in class again. At least I didn't yell out "They've taken the little ones" or anything like that.

On a slightly related note, the best/worst line in "The Fellowship of the Ring" was Boromir poking his head out of the Chamber of Marzarbul, pulling it back in to avoid two arrows, and saying in a matter-of-fact tone "They have a cave troll". It seems so out of character for him, and I couldn't help but laugh. It was like he said "They have a 6'11'' power forward" or "They have a board with a nail in it".

Although I suppose in Orcish terms, a Cave Troll would be the equivalent of a good low-post power forward. Moria goblins running point, Uruk Hai at small forward, everyday Orcs at shooting guard, nice big Oliphaunt at center.

I need to get a life.

"And starting at shooting guard . . . 6'3'' out of NC (North Caradhras) State . . . Gooooooorbaaaaaaag!!!!"

I'm done here

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

You don't know me, I don't think. I seem to have just happened across your blog...

That was really amusing, and yes, I have done that before. Never wrote anything about Saruman though. I just find random words in the midst of my sentences that really have no place being there. (I.e., The information travels from Wernicke's area along the Bb major chord to Broka's area. blah blah blah)

Oh, and random comment: I agree about Boromir's line in Fellowship.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Satchmo said...

Yeah, I was definitely somewhat coherent though, as only that last part of the sentence was utterly nonsensical.

You really know it's bad when entire sentences come out of nowhere. Then it's time to just put your head down and take a nap.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Yes, until the professor startles you out of your reveries by slamming a book down on your desk, inches from your head...

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home